There is an increasing amount of attention around the world being put into how to maintain continuity of teaching in schools and universities if a country becomes so seriously affected by Swine Flu that institutions have to close. On this page we try to collect references to key articles.
In some countries, there has been a lot of hysteria in the press and media, which universities have tried to counter.
Experts (for example at the PPP SIG) advise that - in the still unlikely even that universities have to close (though it has happened in some countries in the southern hemisphere) - those universities will cope best who already have systems (VLEs, podcasting, social networking etc) in place to deliver and support e-learning at scale; but that it is too late to install systems to do this in the next few weeks - if only because of the staff training and support needed. Podcasting (including lecturecasting) is one of the ways that are useful but not the only or even the best way to use podcasting, especially in institutions with no tradition of using this approach.
References and Further Reading
The most recent publications are listed at the top.
- Widespread swine flu hits college campuses, Brown Daily Herald, September 18, 2009 - http://www.browndailyherald.com/widespread-swine-flu-hits-college-campuses-1.1883952 (Accessed September 21 2009)
- College 'swine flu' cases continue to grow, Los Angeles Times Blogs, September 9, 2009 - http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/booster_shots/2009/09/college-swine-flu-cases-continue-to-grow.html (Accessed September 9 2009)
- Swine flu outbreaks at US universities indicator for K-12 education, JacksonNJOnline.com, September 5, 2009 - http://www.jacksonnjonline.com/2009/09/05/swine-flu-outbreaks-at-us-universities-indicator-for-k-12-education (Accessed September 6 2009)
- Evaluating the effectiveness of swine flu contingency policies in healthcare education, The Nursing Times, 3 September, 2009 - http://www.nursingtimes.net/nursing-practice-clinical-research/students/evaluating-the-effectiveness-of-swine-flu-contingency-policies-in-healthcare-education/5005897.article (Accessed September 6 2009)
- UAF prepares for swine flu outbreak, Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, September 1, 2009 - http://newsminer.com/news/2009/sep/01/uaf-prepares-swine-flu-outbreak (Accessed September 6 2009)
- PRINCETON: School districts plan for swine flu, CentralJersey.com, Tuesday, September 1, 2009 - http://centraljersey.com/articles/2009/09/02/the_princeton_packet/news/doc4a9d373d8d877440105138.txt (Accessed September 6 2009)
- Colleges Plan Ahead for Possible H1N1 Outbreak, KPTM News, Nebraska, US, August 31, 2009 - http://www.kptm.com/Global/story.asp?S=11023362&nav=menu606_2 (Accessed September 6 2009)
- With podcasting, online chat rooms, Florida's universities prepare for swine flu, Click-2-Listen, By KIMBERLY MILLER, Palm Beach Post, 27 August 2009 - http://www.palmbeachpost.com/health/content/local_news/epaper/2009/08/27/0827absentee.html
- With podcasting, online chat rooms, Florida's universities prepare for swine flu, PalmBeachPost.com, August 27, 2009 - http://www.palmbeachpost.com/health/content/local_news/epaper/2009/08/27/0827absentee.html (Accessed September 9 2009)
- If swine flu closes USF campus, classes will move online, Tampa Times, Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - http://www.tampabay.com/news/education/college/if-swine-flu-closes-usf-campus-classes-will-move-online/1030615 (Accessed September 6 2009)
- Don't panic: sector in state of readiness over swine flu: Universities prepare contingency plans as UUK calls for 'sense of proportion', writes Hannah Fearn, Times Higher Education (UK), 20 August 2009 - http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=26&storycode=407844&c=1
- Government issues swine flu advice for colleges (byLibby Quaid and Justin Pope, AP Education Writers), Boston Globe, 20 August 2009 - http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2009/08/20/government_issues_swine_flu_advice_for_colleges/
- Teaching the quarantined (at University of Michigan), Inside Higher Ed (US), 19 August 2009 - http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/08/19/flu
- Schools urged to stay open during flu outbreak, MSNBC, 7 August 2009 - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32328425/ns/health-swine_flu/
- Feds offer tips for schools' swine-flu response, The Houston Chronicle, August 7, 2009 - http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6564913.html (Accessed September 6 2009)
- ORT Argentina's Virtual Campus is not to be sneezed at: Thanks to ORT Argentina’s Virtual Campus thousands of ORT high school pupils have kept up with their studies in spite of the Government’s closure of the country’s schools to contain the swine flu epidemic, World ORT News, 29 July 2009 - http://www.ort.org/asp/article.asp?id=830
- Universities prepare plans for flu outbreak - in Leicestershire, Leicester Mercury (UK), 29 July 2009 - http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/news/Universities-prepare-plans-flu-outbreak/article-1204361-detail/article.html
- Universities may cancel freshers' week over swine flu: Officials draw up contingency plans to postpone activities and close parts of campus if pandemic peaks at start of term, Guardian (UK), 23 July 2009 - http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2009/jul/23/universities-prepare-emergency-swine-flu-plans
- Japan tests cell phones to stop pandemics, eSchoolNews, Tue, Jun 09, 2009 - http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/top-news/index.cfm?i=59117 (Accessed September 6 2009)
Related databases of advice
- US: ELATE, the Emergency Preparedness wiki - http://elatewiki.org/index.php/Emergency_Preparedness
- US: flu.gov: Updated Guidance for Schools for the Fall Flu Season (and a section for Universities and colleges) - http://flu.gov/plan/school/index.html
- US: PREPARING FOR THE FLU: DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION RECOMMENDATIONS TO ENSURE THE CONTINUITY OF LEARNING FOR SCHOOLS (K‐12) DURING EXTENDED STUDENT ABSENCE OR SCHOOL DISMISSAL - http://www.ed.gov/admins/lead/safety/emergencyplan/pandemic/guidance/continuity-recs.pdf
- UK: PPP SIG Wiki, Keeping in touch by podcast during the Swine Flu pandemic - http://podcastingforpp.pbworks.com/Keeping-in-touch-by-podcast-during-the-Swine-Flu-pandemic