Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organization
The Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organization (SEAMEO) in Bangkok, Thailand, is a regional intergovernmental organisation among governments of Southeast Asian countries to promote regional cooperation in education, science and culture in the region.
The (SEAMEO) was established on 30 November 1965 as a chartered international organisation whose purpose is to promote cooperation in education, science and culture in the Southeast Asian region. It is a non-profit and not politically oriented organisation, with the largest grouping of country membership (11 Member Countries) in the region to deliver programmes in education.
With the motto "Leading through Learning" its vision is t obe the leading organisation for enhancing regional understanding and cooperation in education, science and culture for a better quality of life in Southeast Asia.
Its mission is
- To enhance regional understanding, cooperation and unity of purpose among Member Countries for a better quality of life through the establishment of networks and partnerships, the provision of fora among policy makers and experts, and the promotion of sustainable human resource development
SEAMEO strives for excellence in the following core competencies:
- Technical and scientific expertise in areas of specialisation
- Governance and management skills
- Collaborative partnership and networking skills
- Research, creativity and innovative skills
The SEAMEO web site is at http://www.seameo.org.
In 1997, SEAMEO established the Regional Open Learning Centre, SEAMOLEC, which seeks to be a center of expertise in open and distance learning
- Brunei Darussalam
- Laos PDR
- Republic of the Union of Myanmar
- East Timor
- Socialist Republic of Vietnam