Royal Roads University
Royal Roads University (RRU) is a public university established in 1995. It is located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.
Royal Roads University offers applied and professional programmes at both the undergraduate and graduate degree level. The various programmes are offered on-campus and online.
Programmes are delivered in three formats:
- on-site with 100% face to face learning
- blended, with part of the program taught in a face-to-face residency and the balance on-line
- some programs are offered completely on-line.
Residency-based programmes range from one to three weeks, and are often held on-campus - but selected programmes host their residencies in unique locations in the world.
Programmes of study include business, leadership, environment and sustainability, tourism, hotel management, sustainable tourism, destination development, tourism leadership,information and society, peace and conflict management, and communication and culture.
Royal Roads also has an active MBA programme in Asia.
Its web site is at http://www.royalroads.ca
Royal Roads University is a member of AUCC.
(sourced from http://www.royalroads.ca/about-rru/learning-at-rru/)
A key element of the learner-centred approached embraced by Royal Roads University is the learning environment. RRU offers two innovative learning models to fit learners’ lifestyles:
- A blended model that combines short on-campus residencies with Internet-based distance education (used in all RRU degree programs) offers convenience and accessibility for those who wish to continue working or living in their home community while pursuing post-secondary education
- An intensive on-campus model that combines years three and four of a Bachelor’s degree in 12 months offers an option for those who wish to quickly complete an undergraduate degree.
Both models make extensive use of team-based learning. This provides insights into leadership and organizational dynamics and creates a challenging and supportive learning community that fosters achievement.
Other factors also contribute to RRU's high quality learning environment. For example, all academic divisions are guided by external programme boards and programme development boards, curriculum is competency (outcomes) based and teaching excellence is supported by faculty development opportunities sponsored by the Centre for Teaching and Educational Technologies such as Instructional Skills Workshops, monthly "Lunch and Learn" sessions, and other initiatives developed exclusively by and for Royal Roads University.