Professor Gráinne Conole
Professor Gráinne Conole has recently started work as Professor of Learning Innovation and Director of the Beyond Distance Research Alliance. She has research interests in the use, integration and evaluation of Information and Communication Technologies and e-learning and impact on organisational change. Until recently she was Professor of e-Learning at the Open University. Formerly she was chair of educational innovation at Southampton University and before that Director of the Institute for Learning and Research Technology at the University of Bristol. She has extensive research, development and project management experience across the educational and technical domains. Recent projects include: the JISC OUDLI project (£400 K), the Personal Inquiry project (£1.2 million), EU-funded XDelia (£668,052), the Hewlett Foundation–funded OLNET (£1,776,439), EU-funded Design-Practice £219,904), EU-funded OPAL (640,952 euros) and acted as critical friend to the HE Academy e Learning Pathfinder programme (£30 K).
She serves on and chairs a number of national and international advisory boards, steering groups, committees and international conference programmes.
She has published and presented over 200 conference proceedings, workshops and articles, including over 50 journal publications on a range of topics, such as the use and evaluation of learning technologies.
- Conole, G., Designing for learning in an open world, book contract secured, part of a series, Spector and Lajoie (eds), Springer.
- Conole, G. (submitted), "Blue skies thinking for design and Open Educational Resources", Special Issue outcome of the Technology and Learning: Defining Quality in Research, Theory and Practice Conference, Limerick.
- Conole, G., McAndrew, P. and Dimitriadis, Y. (2011), "The role of CSCL pedagogical patterns as mediating artefacts for repurposing Open Educational Resources", in Pozzi and Persico (eds), Techniques for Fostering Collaboration in Online Learning Communities: Theoretical and Practical.
- Conole, G. and McAndrew, P. (2010), "A new approach to supporting the design and use of OER: Harnessing the power of web 2.0", Edner and Schiefner (eds), Looking toward the future of technology enhanced education: ubiquitous learning and the digital nature.
- Conole, G., Galley, R. and Culver, J. (2010), "Frameworks for understanding the nature of interactions, networking and community in a social networking site for academic practice", The International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning.
- Conole, G. (2010), "Facilitating new forms of discourse for learning and teaching: harnessing the power of Web 2.0 practices", Open Learning, Vol.25, No. 2, June 2010, 141-151.
- Conole, G. (2010), "Bridging the gap between policy and practice: a framework for technological intervention", Journal of e-learning and knowledge society, vol. 6, no.1, February 2010, 13-27.
- Conole, G. and Culver, J. (2010) "The design of Cloudworks: applying social networking practice to foster the exchange of learning and teaching ideas and designs", Computers and Education, 54(3): 679-692.
- Conole, G., De Laat, M., Dillon, T. and Darby, J. (2008), "'Disruptive technologies', 'pedagogical innovation': What's new? Findings from an in-depth study of students' use and perception of technology", Computers and Education, Vol. 50, Issue 2, February 2008, pages 511-524.