Open University of Mauritius
AIOU (CN) | AIOU (PK) | Anadolu U | AOU | Athabasca U | BAOU | BCOU | BOU | BRAOU | BTVU | COME-UW | CCRTVU | DISC | EBS | EELU | Euro-FH | FernFH | FernUni Hagen | FFHS | HFH | Henan RTV | HCMCOU | HOU (CN) | HOU (GR)| HYCU | Humboldt | IGNOU | Inner Mongolia RTVU | JSTVU | KKHSOU | KNOU | KSOU | FH Lübeck | MPBOU | NOU (IN) | NOU (TW) | NOUN | NSOU | OPENU | OP | Oscail | OUA | OUBS | OUC | OUHK | OUJ | OU Libya | OUM | OUN | OUS | OUSL | OUT | PNU | PSSOU | PUP-OU | QOU | Ramkhamhaeng U | SCRTVU | SHTVU | STOU | SXRTVU | SYTVU | TGOU | TJRTVU | TNOU | Tallinn U | TUT (EE) | UAB (BR) | UAb (PT) | UAPA| UDIMA | UKOU | UNA | UNAD | UNED (CR) | UNED (ES) | UNITAR | UOC | UOU | UPOU | UPRTOU | USOU | U. Tartu | U. Terbuka | VFH | Viadrina | VMOU | WOU | YCMOU | YNTVU | ZOU | ZAOU | ZRTVU
The Open University of Mauritius was set up in July 2012 after several years of planning.
The vision of the Open University of Mauritius is "to be among the leading open universities recognized worldwide for providing high-quality education and training".
As far as possible the Open University of Mauritius will have an open access policy with a view to increase access to learning opportunities at tertiary level as stipulated in the Act. The Open University shall be open to everyone who complies with the admission/registration regulations and abide to the code of practice for student discipline that covers academic performance standard and code of conduct.
Its web site is http://www.open.ac.mu
The mission of the Open University of Mauritius is to provide quality education to people of all backgrounds from Mauritius and around the world with the ultimate aim of developing their intellectual, moral, civic, and creative capacities to the fullest so that they can lead a life full of dignity while contributing meaningfully to socioeconomic development of their nation.
Therefore the Open University of Mauritius endeavours to
- expand the scope and scale of quality higher education available to school leavers;
- provide greater access to continuing professional education, skills development and training;
- provide more opportunities for lifelong learning;
- play a leading role in research and development and application of learning technologies for education and training;
- facilitate national, regional and international partnerships and collaborations for the optimal use of resources for open and distance learning; and
- provide quality open and distance learning programmes in the Mauritius and in the region in a learner-centred environment using state-of-the-art information and communication technologies.
The objectives of the Open University of Mauritius are to:
- advance and disseminate learning and knowledge through a diversity of means, with emphasis on information and communication technologies;
- provide wider opportunities for education and training to the population, through open and distance learning, and promote lifelong learning;
- encourage the use of open and distance learning at all levels of education and training through collaboration, optimal use of existing resources and good practices;
- encourage and promote scholarship and conduct research and development in educational technology and related matters;
- be the focal point for the provision of open and distance learning in Mauritius through the establishment of active partnerships with local public and private institutions, as well as overseas institutions engaged in providing education and training.
The Open University of Mauritius Act 2010 makes interesting reading - http://www.open.ac.mu/files/OpenUniversityAct2010.pdf.
The Open University of Mauritius uses Moodle.
- Normally the Open University programmes are delivered through Open Flexible Distance Learning with relevant student support.
- Students essentially learn on their own, interacting with the learning materials, with tutors and peers.
- The learning materials may be in print or electronic format.
- Face to face sessions are organised to facilitate the live interactions and sharing of learning experiences.
- Interaction with programme Manager and the tutors is also possible through email.
- Some programmes may be delivered through a mixed/flexible mode.