Open Primary Education School
The Open Primary School (OPS) supports the 42th Article of Republic of Turkey’s Constitution which states that: "No one can be deprived of the right of education and training. Training and education shall be conducted under the supervision and control of the State, in line with Atatürk's principles and reforms, according to the principles of contemporary science and education."
The Open Primary School is NOT a Primary School in terms of the age group it serves. It supports all ages of learner who did not complete their 'primary' education. This includes adults.
Open Primary School admits all types of students including those who are beyond the age limit for compulsory education and those who could not complete primary school for various reasons. Age record is not necessary for those who are prisoners, convicts, and those who are physically disabled.
The school was established by the Ministry of National Education to promote distance education principles and techniques everywhere and in all cases for the people who had not been able to complete their education because of some various reasons and who had not been able to complete their compulsory primary education because of exceeding the school age limit and left outside of the educational system.
Open Primary School was founded with the approval of the Ministry of National Education on 12/09/1997. The institution was attached to the Department of Film, Radio and Television at the Directorate of Educational Technologies. Effective lessons began with the 1998-1999 educational year. This institution provides distant education services to students both within the country made up of 81 cities and all over Europe. It also provides services to students in Saudi Arabia, Mecca, Medina, Riyadh and Tripoli.
The Directorate of Film, Radio and Television together with that of Distance education at the Ministry of Education ensures that the following are observed by the Open Primary School:
- The primary education program offered by OPS is in accordance with the specified and recommended distance education courses for various levels within the primary school.
- Radio and television programs are effectively used to prepare classes and courses and that the courses are efficiently delivered using the required technology.
- Required educational resources and publications are distributed in time for effective course deliveries.
- Prepares and approves legislation related to education and examinations.
- Makes sure students collect and evaluate relevant statistical information.
- Monitors and evaluate distance education-related domestic and overseas training activities.
- Takes necessary measures to deal with specific students problems.
- Prepare relevant documents and diplomas.
Thus the mission of OPS is to provide education opportunity to students everywhere in the globe who did not have the opportunity to complete primary school for various reasons and thereby contributing to the development of culture and education within society at large. The purpose is also to facilitate citizens to gain professional experience and thereby make prepare them for higher education from where they can make a contribution to the global economy.
General Principles and Methods Used
- Open Primary School admits all types of students including those who are beyond the age limit for compulsory education and those who could not complete primary school for various reasons. Age record is not necessary for those who are prisoners, convicts, and those who are physically disabled.
- Allows all students to essentially benefit from the visual and auditory communication technological tools in the course of their studies.
- Delivers courses using various ICT resources including television and radio programs, internet, printed documents, CD-ROMs and many other tools.
- OPS takes into account individual evaluations, behavioural and psychological patterns and levels of comprehension of different students and design specific courses and trainings to suit their various needs.
Open Primary School's main office is in Ballıkpınar Disrtict Gölbaşı/Ankara TURKEY.
The school's web site is at http://aio.meb.gov.tr/english