An OER initiative is an initiative to develop OER. This can be funded at various levels:
- truly internationally - eg UNESCO
- multinationally - eg EU or COL
- nationally - eg from UK
- regionally - from a top-level regional structure (province, state, etc) within the nation
- municipally - eg from a city or county responsible for education locally
- institutionally - from the centre of an institution with specific funding
- departmentally - from a Department/Faculty/School/College within an institution.
The focus in POERUP is to collect at least 100 "significant" OER initiatives, focussing on those which are largest-scale, but aiming also to balance across countries.
For a list of the ones we are collecting see Category:Significant OER Initiatives