- Sustain and develop a world-class research base
- Maximise the exploitation of the research base to support innovation across all sectors of the economy
- Raise and widen participation in Higher Education
- Raise participation and attainment by young people and adults in post-16 education and learning
- Tackle the skills gap amongst adults, particularly equipping people with basic literacy and numeracy
- Increase the supply of people in science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
The DIUS web site is http://www.dius.gov.uk.
The Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills is one of three new government departments set up by the Prime Minister (of the UK) on 28 June 2007; the others are the Department for Children, Schools and Families (DCSF) and the Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (DBERR).
One of the oddities of the UK is that there is a UK government and devolved Scottish, Welsh and Northern Ireland governments but no English government.