Policies Survey notes:
- Algeria makes reference to OER in its e-Education strategy.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Education in Algeria
- 3 Internet in Algeria
- 4 Copyright law in Algeria
- 5 OER Initiatives in Algeria
- 6 References
Algeria (Formal Arabic: الجزائر, al-Jazā’ir; Berber: Dzayer), officially the People's Democratic Republic of Algeria, is a country located in North Africa. It is the largest country on the Mediterranean sea, the second largest on the African continent and the eleventh-largest country in the world in terms of land area.
It is bordered by Tunisia in the northeast, Libya in the east, Niger in the southeast, Mali and Mauritania in the southwest, a few kilometers of the Moroccan-controlled Western Sahara in the southwest, Morocco in the west and northwest, and the Mediterranean Sea in the north.
Its size is almost 2,400,000 km2 with an estimated population near to 35,000,000.
The capital of Algeria is Algiers.
About a quarter of the population of the country lives off less than US$ 2 a day.
Algeria is considered by Berbers to be a part of the Berber World.
For further general information see Wikipedia:Algeria.
Education in Algeria
For a general description of education in Algeria see Education:Algeria.
For a description more focussed to e-learning see Algeria/EL.
Internet in Algeria
Internet in Education
Internet World Stats reports the following statistics for Algeria:
- 2000 - Internet users = 50,000 (0.2 %)
- 2005 - Internet users = 1,920,000 (5.8 %)
- 2007 - Internet users = 2,460,000 (7.3 %)
- 2008 - Internet users = 3,500,000 (10.4 %)
- 2009 - Internet users = 4,100,000 (12.0 %)
- 2010 - Internet users = 4,700,000 (13.6 %) (http://www.internetworldstats.com/af/dz.htm)
Algeria is encouriging the use of ICT in education by preparing an ICT policy framework along with an implementation steratgey. The government has set up a special Committee to synergise different sectors in the area of ICT (infrastructure -research - software ..) (1)
Copyright law in Algeria
Copyright law in Education
OER Initiatives in Algeria
National OER initiatives
Regional OER initiatives
Institutional OER initiatives
1. ReVica/VISCED page for Algeria (http://virtualcampuses.eu/index.php/Algeria)