Agency for the Evaluation of the Quality of Higher Education
The Agency for the Evaluation of the Quality of Higher Education (AEQES) is a quality assurance agency in Belgium, focussing on the Walloon Higher Education. Its original name is "l'Agence pour l'Evaluation de la Qualité dans l'Enseignement supérieur" and it was created by the Decree of 14 November 2002. It is organised or subsidised by the French Community in Belgium.
Its missions are to:
- promote, through cooperation among all components of Higher Education, the implementation of practices to improve quality at each institution;
- provide an assessment of Higher Education, highlighting good practices, shortcomings and problems to solve, without disclosing the data for each institution;
- identify and plan on a multi-year assessments to be carried out;
- ensure compliance assessment procedures;
- establish the list of experts and appoint the Chairman of the experts;
- represent the French Community with national and international bodies in evaluating the quality of higher education;
- generate proposals to be sent to political leaders to improve the overall quality of higher education;
- make proposals on the performance of its tasks in the initiative or at the request of the Government.
A more recent decree relevant to the Agency is the Decree of 22 February 2008, stipulating various measures related to the organisation and functioning of the Agency for the Evaluation of the quality of higher education organised or subsidised by the French Community.
More information on the web site: http://www.aeqes.be