Virtual Education Networks
VEN was set up in 2001 by the Community Trust of Otago to provide standards, governance and management over an educational environment. All schools which joined VEN were able to take advantage of the services that had been created for the members.
VEN is registered with the Charities commission as a charitable organisation (not for profit). The company is managed in a way which reflects the needs and desires of the main users (who can only be NZ schools or educational institutions). Collaboration, communication and community are key drivers of VEN.
As such VEN is unique:
- Effectively a Board of Trustees (governance) through continually developing the policies surrounding the environment.
- Once a member of VEN, schools are able to access services such as SchoolZone and The Education Hub.
- A user group (supporting members) endeavoring to meet the users' expressed needs.
- VEN negotiates with the service providers and interested stakeholders on behalf of the users eg FX, Otago Polytechnic, Telecom, Editure, and the MoE
- Keeping a watchful eye over and working with users and educational service providers to enhance the environment.
- Responding to users who have difficulties and problem solving with them.
- Maintaining a political presence to ensure continued government support, research and development.
- Monitoring the environment to ensure policies are followed by members/users and providers.
VEN will continue to develop a creative, collaborative and sharing environment where schools are able to work cooperatively with others of like interest. We will continue to liaise closely with the Ministry of Education and all interested stakeholders.