The Ministry of Education, Youth, Sports & Culture launched a new era in its Distance Education Program with a trailblazing initative called "The Bahamas Learning Channel" on Friday March 30, 2007. Programmes on the Bahamas Learning Channel are currently broadcast on Cable 12 Community Channel on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays between the hours of 3.30pm to 5.00pm, and on ZNS on Mondays - Fridays at 5.30pm and on Saturdays at 11:00am.
The Channel, which focuses on instructional, informational, and motivational programmes, is responsible for the production of over 20 series catered to preschool, primary, and high school students. The channel has also produced a related website www.thebahamaslearningchannel.com which provides descriptions of programmes and links to actual video footage of all programmes.
The following programmes have been produced by the Communications Division:
1. Veteran Educators -Production of profile/interviews of Veteran and Retired Educators for television. This programme has been renamed Education Icons, for The Bahamas Learning Channel and was featured three times per week (Y2 hour).
2. Back To School Special -This show served as a Welcome Back to administrators, teachers, parents and students as they prepared for the beginning of the New Year ( ½ hour).
3. Inside Education -This show highlights the lives and work of various senior managers at the Ministry of Education, Youth, Sports and Culture.
4. News In Education -The video magazine of the Ministry of Education that reports on events taking place within the Ministry of Education and the schools.
5. Public Forum -A programme in which students from both public and private schools question the Minister (I hour).
6. Special Schools Programming -Public Relations Shows -highlighting the school for The Blind, Commonwealth Education Ministers Conference and many other educational issues.
1. As A Matter of Fact -A Radio Talk Show which provides a factual, broader view of education today and highlight events and recommended strategies for dealing with them. Programme is aired three times per week (55 minutes). It is broadcast on 1540 A.M. Radio Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.