Sabhal Mòr Ostaig is a college whose medium of instruction is the Scottish Gaelic language. It is located about 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) north of Armadale on the Sleat peninsula of the Isle of Skye in northwestern Scotland. It also has a campus on Islay known as Ionad Chaluim Chille Ìle.
It is part of the University of the Highlands and Islands. It is one of the "cornerstones" of the university and a main economic driver of South Skye.
As of 2010, there were approximately 100 full-time students, 160 distance-learning students and 900 attending short summer courses related to Gaelic language and culture.
At Sabhal Mòr Ostaig all full-time courses are taught through the medium of Gaelic. Full-time students are required to sign a student contract pledging to use only Gaelic in all public spaces at the College.
Sabhal Mòr Ostaig is also a Gaelic-medium business and encourages its staff to use Gaelic as the working language of the College.
Sabhal Mòr Ostaig offers four bachelors degrees with honours:
- Gaelic and Development
- Gaelic Language and Culture
- Gaelic and Media Studies
- Gaelic and Traditional Music
Sabhal Mòr Ostaig also offers two Gaelic-medium masters programmes:
- Masters in Material Culture and the Environment
- Masters in Gaelic and Education
A small number of PhD students also study at the College.
Several research initiatives make their home at Sabhal Mòr Ostaig:
- Soillse, the national research network for the maintenance and revitalisation of Gaelic language.
- Lèirsinn, the research arm of the College. They carry out audience surveys for BBC Alba and BBC Radio nan Gàidheal.
- Tobar an Dualchais, the Scottish folklore digitization project.
- Ainmean-Àite na h-Alba, the Gaelic Place-Names of Scotland project.
- Faclair na Gàidhlig, the Dictionary of the Scottish Gaelic Language.
Its web site - English version - is http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/en/
The college offers many courses via distance learning: http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/en/cursaichean/cursaichean-air-astar/
Online learning for on-campus students
The college's library gives access to online resources to students: http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/en/rannsachadh/leabharlann/seirbheisean-air-loidhne/
Open Educational Resources (OER)
No evidence found of OERs.
Blackboard is the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) at Sabhal Mòr Ostaig.
For more information see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabhal_M%C3%B2r_Ostaig