Difference between revisions of "Professor Paul Bacsich"
(→Twitter: added cat POERUP people)
|Line 56:||Line 56:|
Revision as of 15:48, 8 August 2014
Dr Paul Bacsich is Senior Consultant at Sero. He is Project Manager for the POERUP project.
He is also Project Manager for the VISCED project (funded under EU LLP KA3) on "Virtual Schools and Colleges" (2011-12) which continues and extends the analytic approach of Re.ViCa into secondary and pre-tertiary education for the 14-21 age group and in particular is analysing national ICT initiatives for schools and colleges. He worked on the CAPITAL project for Becta, including as lead author of the report on "International issues" for ICT in education. He was Director of Research for the EU Erasmus Re.ViCa project on virtual campuses and wrote many reports for it. Formerly he was Professor of Telematics at Sheffield Hallam University and an Assistant Director of the Knowledge Media Institute at the UK Open University - he is currently Visiting Professor at Middlesex University. He is or has recently been advisor on e-learning to several universities in England, Wales and Sweden.
He was in 2009 in Brazil, 2010 in Mexico, Canada and Sweden and is due to spend time in Sweden and New Zealand in 2011 working on ICT in education.
He is also an expert on Critical Success Factors and the developer of the Pick&Mix system for benchmarking e-learning, widely used since 2005, most recently in institutions in UK, Sweden and Canada in the Distance Learning Benchmarking Club.
- Bacsich, P. (2010), "Benchmarking e-learning in UK universities", Open Praxis, vol. 4, issue 2, 2010, http://www.openpraxis.com/files/Bacsich%20et%20al..pdf - first presented to ICDE/EADTU M-2009 conference, 2009.
- Bacsich, P. et al (2010), "Technology Enhanced Learning: addressing the gap between aspiration and implementation: International issues", report to Becta CAPITAL project, http://www.lsri.nottingham.ac.uk/capital/Yr2/SummaryReports/50-D2-International.pdf
- Bacsich, P. and Pepler, G. (2009) "IT-induced Organisational Change in FE and HE", http://www.scribd.com/doc/40471361/IT-induced-Organisational-Change-in-FE-and-HE - first published as a CAPITAL report "Organisational Change: Second Report" - see also the companion and predecessor reports at http://www.lsri.nottingham.ac.uk/capital
- Frank Mayadas, A., Bourne, J. and Bacsich, P. (2009), "Online Education Today", Science Magazine, January 2009 - a joint report between Re.ViCa and Sloan-C, http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/323/5910/85
- Bacsich, P., Schreurs, B. et al (2009), Reviewing the Virtual Campus Phenomenon: The Rise of Large-Scale e-Learning Initiatives Worldwide (The Re.ViCa Handbook), http://www.virtualcampuses.eu/index.php/Re.ViCa_Handbook
See also "Quality in E-Learning: A view for ENQA" presented at the ENQA workshop on quality in e-learning, October 2009, Sigtuna, Sweden - http://www.slideshare.net/pbacsich/enqa-paul-bacsich-final
Biography from Mendeley (last updated 24 March 2012)
Paul Bacsich became a full-time consultant in April 2004. In his earlier career he was at the Open University for 24 years, finally as co-founder and Assistant Director of the Knowledge Media Institute. In 1996 he left to take up a professorship in the School of Computing and Management Sciences of Sheffield Hallam University. He set up and ran for three years the Virtual Campus Programme, and the Telematics in Education Research Group (TERG) from which bid for and won many contracts in the general area of e-learning from JISC (costing and change management), Becta, DfES and Sun Microsystems. In 2005 he became a consultant to the HE Academy, first through the three phases of the benchmarking e-learning Programme, then for Pathfinder Phase 1 and more recently for the Gwella benchmarking and enhancement project in Wales, with recent responsibility for Glamorgan and Aberystwyth Universities. He has personally benchmarked over 20 universities and his team have benchmarked over 40. Benchmarking is now one of the core activities of Matic Media Ltd.
In August 2007 he took up a part-time Senior Consultant role with Sero Consulting Ltd, working on a range of research and development contracts mostly for Becta (CAPITAL project and others) but also with involvement in JISC (Libraries 2.0 and costs), Becta and DCELLs (Wales). More recently he created, bid for, won and now leads the EU project VISCED (Virtual Schools and Colleges) which started in January 2011 and (with Bieke Schreurs) created, bid for, won and now leads the EU project POERUP which started in November 2011.
He is currently working on a range of topics including benchmarking, quality, retention, cost-benefits, time, OER, 21st century skills, competences and other topics relevant to the new ICT-enabled broad-spectrum providers of education in the future.
Other biographies of Paul Bacsich
- Mendeley - http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/paul-bacsich/
- VISCED - http://visced.referata.com/wiki/Paul_Bacsich
- Re.ViCa - http://virtualcampuses.eu/index.php/Paul_Bacsich
- Higher Education Academy - http://elearning.heacademy.ac.uk/wiki/index.php/Professor_Paul_Bacsich
- Matic Media (out of date) - http://www.matic-media.co.uk/paul.htm